A. Shabi Khan, M.D.
Dr. A. Shabi Khan received his undergraduate degree at the University of California at Berkeley and attended medical school at the University of California at San Francisco. He trained in orthopedic surgery and received his specialist training at Stanford University Hospital. He sub-specialized in arthroscopic surgery and Sports Medicine at the Hospital for Joint Disease in New York, NYU.
His team affiliations in the past have included the New York Mets, U.S. Open Tennis Tournament and the Alvin Ailey Dance Company. Currently he has several consulting roles, including San Francisco State University, City College of San Francisco, and Skyline College. Lastly, he consults for many amateur league sports teams in the area.
Sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery as a medical science are constantly evolving with sophisticated technology, progressive techniques, and exciting new frontiers. In a continuing effort to keep abreast of these new developments, Dr. Khan regularly attends national and international meetings, where he participates in workshops with colleagues and other specialists. This professional exchange of information ensures that his services are the most up-to-date.
Shoulder Arthroscopic Specialist
Minimally invasive shoulder surgery has undergone a revolution over the last five to ten years. Although shoulder injuries and problems have been around as long as we have, their treatment has completely changed. Shoulder arthroscpy has allowed us to see the shoulder in action from the inside. As such, our understanding of shoulder function has grown immensely. Naturally, more than just seeing, we have now honed our skills at treating those same very problems.
Not every orthopedic surgeon has the training and expertise to perform arthroscopic surgery. The skills and tools used to treat the shoulder through arthroscopic means are entirely different than those used to treat the shoulder through open surgery. We are convinced that arthroscopic treatment is the “way to go” if a surgical procedure is indicated.
- Dr. Shabi Khan specializes in both care for the shoulder and sports medicine.
- Virtually every shoulder surgery is performed arthroscopically.
- All rotator cuff tears are repaired using arthroscopic techniques.
- When you have shoulder surgery, you need more than just surgery. Specialized care is required in the full spectrum of peri-operative shoulder care including exercises, medications, injections and supervised rehabilitation. When you have your shoulder repaired by us, all of these services are provided.
- As with anything else, the more experienced and specialized, the better the quality. We do more arthroscopic shoulder repairs than anyone in our area.
Current Medical Practice
Peninsula Orthopedic Associates, Inc., August 2002 to present
- 09/91-06/95 M.D. from University of California, San Francisco
- 08/87-06/91 Bachelors in Biochemistry from the University of California, Berkeley
Post Graduate Training
- 06/95-06/96 General Surgery Internship at University of California, San Francisco
- 07/96-07/01 Residency Training at Stanford University, Department of Orthopaedics
- 08/01-07/02 Fellowship in Sports Medicine at Hospital for Joint Diseases, NYU
State of California
Board Certification: Double Board Certified
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Board Certification in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- Member of American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Member of American College of Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- San Mateo County Medical Association